Monday, October 28, 2019

The Easy Way Out (World Building)

When I set out to write Morbid Fascinations of David Bennett I knew that I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew. I was going to be pressed for time and suffering through a myriad of distractions and the last thing that I wanted to do was find myself in over my head and frustrated to the point where I would abandon my manuscript.

One of the first things that I decided to do, with world building, was set the story in a mostly real environment. Thus, northern Michigan, I apologize for inflicting this tale upon you.

Oh, I knew there were dangers in doing something like that. I have fictionalized street (and some other location) names, but anyone familiar with the area is going to know exactly where this book takes place.

This approach became a double edged sword because it freed up my time to dedicate toward character and story development without having to create and learn an entire new world, but it also influenced how my character treated his environment. In the original draft, David had much more contempt and loathing for the particular area in which he found himself. He considered it a hillbilly haven and didn't want anything to do with the locals.

Realizing that I would be offending a whole geographic location of people with this approach I tamed it down quite a bit. Basically, David really doesn't interact with locals beyond a basic need to. It's too difficult for him to come back to this place that he once called home and face the memories that he associates with the area. He felt used by so many people and dragged down into the seedy lifestyle that is all too common in that area. Instead of dwelling on it, he ignores it.

It's an artistic sacrifice that I felt was worth the cost of giving myself a relatively easy canvas to paint upon with my debut novel. In the end it was a successful approach.

The sequel is much more fantastical and fictionalized. I don't plan on holding back too many punches in the next round.

Now available with matchbook! Buy the paperback and get the kindle edition for 0.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Morbid-Fascinations-David-Bennett-ebook/dp/B07ZG4N2

No comments:

Post a Comment