Friday, October 25, 2019

The More They Overtake the Plumbing...

This post is just a bit of a rant, to start with.

I have been learning the ropes with advertising and my first effort was met with a high degree of failure...complete, really. I built my ad on Amazon and let it run for three days without a single impression. I kept checking my budget, including my ad bid rate and dynamic adjustments. Nothing was helping. This morning I finally decided to do the proper research that I should have done a few days ago. It turns out that Amazon's system is really horrible at automatic keyword matching. Amazon's system decided that my ad only needed two keywords: 'David' and 'Bennett.'

...........so... that was definitely an issue. There aren't many people who go on amazon and search either of those two words.

This morning I did what I should have done in the beginning and taken the time to create a manual ad and select my own keywords. A few dozen proper keywords back in the system and we will see how it rolls now. Too bad I likely have to wait several hours to a day or more for moderation on the new campaign.

Our world has become so Automatic that it feels like what should be the easy, time saving solution actually blows up in our faces. I think a good analogy is the 'automatic' setting on your microwave for cooking things like popcorn. Has anyone in the history of microwaving EVER been able to successfully use that button to properly pop a bag of popcorn? My own experiences have ranged from ending up with a quarter cup of unpopped kernels to "holy crap, where's the fire extinguisher!"

I feel like that is my experience whenever I try to use any website's automatic function. It leads me to believe that the function is only ever put there to make someone feel like they are actually being productive when the truth is that they are pretty much sending a digital dog to chase its own tail for a while.

Okay, rant over.

What are your experiences with automation technology?

No comments:

Post a Comment