Thursday, October 31, 2019

"Big Things Have Small Beginnings"

When I set out to write my debut novel I knew that there was going to be an incredible learning curve for me. All my life I had been used to writing short stories of 8,000 words or less. The only other time I attempted to write a full length novel I got hung up around 42,000 words and the manuscript is still tucked away in a closet.

Morbid Fascinations of David Bennett takes place in a very limited environment, not only because I wanted to keep things small scale and well paced, but because this introduction to a greater world was meant to feel like someone making a gradual transition from our world into a universe much greater in scale than he could ever imagine. This novel is a bit like uncorking the bottle. Maestri will see the genie set forth. The scale of the follow up will be incredibly vast in scale, by comparison.

This takes absolutely nothing away from MFoDB. It's a taught, closed quarters, slow burn suspenseful horror work in the vein of H.P. Lovecraft and evolves a bit toward a more Clive Barker influenced work near the end of the 3rd act. That really sets the tone of what we can expect in the next chapter of this tale - of which David Bennett is only a small part.

The Morbid Fascinations of David Bennett, now available in paperback, ebook, and free with Kindle Unlimited!

Take a chance, and read a few pages. I bet you just might be enticed to read further.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1701845431

No comments:

Post a Comment