Monday, January 6, 2020

Maestri: The Second Act

When I wrote The Morbid Fascinations of David Bennett my goal was to create a tight, claustrophobic atmosphere filled with suspense, despair, hopelessness. I knew it was going to be a lot, trying to write my first book, and I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew. I wrote in first person and limited the scenes and settings to keep a tight, claustrophobic feel to the story. Everything in there is laid out like a journal as David descends into a strange reality that tears his mind and body apart. There were only a handful of characters in the story to help me keep the story focused and heading in the proper direction. I am incredibly proud of what I accomplished. It was exactly what I set out to do.

As I set out to write out the loose follow-up, Maestri, I had dreams of a grand universe that I wanted to fill with creatures and scenery both beautiful and horrifying. There are emotionless beings perfectly suited to be cold blooded killers, or to be more humane than the most soft-hearted human.

Act 2 sees us leaving the human world behind and the story moving from a horror story with an odd set of characters to where it is now opening up to this incredible universe populated with wondrous features. I have spent a lot of time world building. I even spent two weeks creating detailed outlines and character sheets for a set of a half dozen characters that would appear in precisely one scene in the book, spanning just a few pages. This story is serious to me.

MFoDB was just the introduction to this universe. Maestri pulls back the curtain and allows us to peek behind the veil and get a good look at the Concentric Worlds around our own.

I hope you join me on this splendid journey into the bleak unknown as young Arabella matures and makes her way into a universe that she never new existed, learning exactly who and what she is and why she is the target of multiple factions who want her -- either alive or dead. When her power comes to fruition, to what master will it serve?

Maestri - coming summer 2020.

Read The Morbid Fascinations of David Bennett (Concentric Worlds, book 1) out now on ebook and in paperback: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1701845431 FREE on Kindle Unlimited, $2.99 to own on ebook or $12.99 with free prime delivery in beautiful paperback with wrap-a-round artwork on the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment