Friday, November 8, 2019

The Discomfort of Uncertainty

In my research of the paranormal I am always amazed to find out what scares people. I'm sure that sounds plenty morbid and a bit...touched...but it is fascinating to learn exactly what it is about a hypothetical haunting that makes an individual feel off balance and skittish.

Surprisingly enough, it isn't the banging or even seeing a spirit that tends to set many people off. It's the uncertainty of the invisible lurking around them that really makes them squirm. Most people that I interview would rather have a ghost manifest in front of them rather than sit in the middle of a room and just feel like they are being watched by some invisible entity.

Why are we so terrified of uncertainty in our lives? It goes far beyond the paranormal. We humans are so driven to find answers to any question that we stumble upon that it can quite often lead to obsession.

When I was young one of my cats came up missing. He had been rather sick the last time I saw him and then suddenly he was gone. His name was Bandit. He was a rather plump, tiger striped fellow with an absolutely adorable personality. I was eight years old. I spent nearly a year looking for my missing kitty, trying to find out what happened to him. I would routinely check with neighbors, ask my parents if they heard anything. It drove me insane to lose my best buddy.

It wasn't until years later that my parents admitted that my dad took the sick cat and dumped him in the field behind our house to die.

Christ, that made me furious - for so many reasons. Aside from them tossing out my pet like trash, they let me just wonder for a decade what had happened. They had absolutely no idea that the uncertainty of not knowing Bandit's fate just ate at me day after day.

This is why some of us are so drawn to the paranormal. It is the skepticism and uncertainty of exactly what it is that may be haunting our lives. Is the spirit of a restless person really roaming my halls or is it the winter cold making the old building's frame creak?

Would we be able to rest much easier if the science of the afterlife is ever established and we can just hear a bang and say, with certainty, that it is the ghost of Bob, who hung himself in the attic back in 1983? I'm willing to bet that concrete knowledge would actually make many people more comfortable than the simple wondering whether some echo of the past lurks their halls of if they are just losing their mind over nothing.

What about you? Would you really like to know what those little bumps are that you hear in the middle of the night?

FREE with Kindle Unlimited:
https://www.amazon.com/Morbid-Fascinations-David-Bennett-ebook/dp/B07ZG4N2XB

Also available in Paperback for $12.99 prime on Amazon or contact me directly at sofaslug@yahoo.com for a signed copy at the same price, while supplies last.

No comments:

Post a Comment