Monday, November 4, 2019

Can Going Bleak Actually Be a Good Thing?

It's no secret that the world can be a pretty bleak place. Every day we turn on the news and see how it is being torn apart. I used to watch the local news in the mornings but now I just sit in silence or read until my 3 year old gets up. Even the local news has become so saturated with the negativity in the world that it is extremely hard to find the positives in it.

I suppose that was a big factor in my return to writing after a nearly thirty year absence. I wanted to fill the time that I used to spend concerning myself with the outside world with something that I find enjoyable, and can also serve as an outlet for my pent up rage toward the people running our country into the ground.

When I decided to focus on bleak horror I really wasn't sure if it was a great way to contribute to a society already on the brink but, honestly, I have always felt that reading or watching horror is a great way to build appreciation for the positive aspects around you.

When you scare yourself after reading a terrifying book or watching a horror film do you sit around and dwell on the things that may be lurking in your closet or under your bed -- or do you turn on something funny and laugh along. Knowing the darkness tends to make people drift toward the light. It's a basic human instinct to look for security in the face of impending harm.

Maybe, just maybe, people need to have the living crap scared out of them on occasion in order to appreciate the things they do have in their lives.

Of course, it's not the same for everyone. Some people don't like to terrify themselves or read really hopeless literature. That is completely fine. Everyone is different. Frankly, the world would be a much better place if we learned to embrace our differences rather than use them as a wedge of divisionism.

If you're one of the folks who loves bleak, then by all means check out:

https://www.amazon.com/Morbid-Fascinations-David-Bennett-ebook/dp/B07ZG4N2XB
$2.99 or free with Kindle Unlimited!

No comments:

Post a Comment