Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Productivity Through Isolation

It's been a couple of weeks since I blogged and thought it was time for another update on the progress of Maestra. Things were going a bit slowly but kicked into at least medium gear in the past couple of weeks. That got bumped into high gear over the weekend.

At the end of last week I developed some concerning symptoms and, being in a high risk group, I decided to get a COVID19 test. That meant being presumed positive and heading into isolation until the results came in. Isolation involved being stuck in a a spare bedroom in my house that serves as a theater, office, and craft room. It's also not air conditioned and only has a couch to sleep on.

So I did a lot of writing -- like, 7,000 words of writing in 2 days worth of writing. I've now managed to get back on track to be done with this draft and go into edits by the end of July. I'm not going to celebrate, yet, because I still have roughly 1/3 of the book left to write. I'm just over 90,000 words and estimating the final word count of this draft to be somewhere around 135,000. This book is going to be a bit thick but well worth the read. 

Being forced to sit down and write was actually a great way to get some motivation back into me. 

Thematically, I have noticed some of the bleak state of the world creeping into my work, which is probably something that would be expected to happen -- but I have also noticed that the moments of hope are shining a bit brighter in this draft. 

There will be a light in the darkness.

Until next time.

Read book 1 of the Concentric Worlds: The Morbid Fascinations of David Bennett. Only 99 cents or free on Kindle Unlmited. Catch up on this dynamic universe before the Dark Fantasy sequel, Maestra releases this Autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment