Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Life Hack: Low Carb Pizza

This is not a paid advertisement. I'm a 43 year old who loves pizza with a passion. I also happen to be a type 2 diabetic who struggles to find things to eat that don't taste like cardboard.

This doesn't even really qualify as a recipe but more of a 'huh, I never thought of that.'

In the Mexican section of your grocery store you are likely to find a selection of either High Fiber or Low Carb soft tortillas. My personal favorite are OLE brand Xtreme Wellness Tomato Basil tortillas. They're about 8 inches in size, 50 calories, 15 carbs but 11 are from dietary fiber.

I toast one of these up in my little toaster oven for about 3 minutes at 450 degrees.

I then take three table spoons of any given pizza sauce (this will add about 5 more carbs, typically) and spread it out over the crisped tortilla. 

Next I sprinkle a quarter cup of lowfat mozz cheese on the pizza.

You can add whatever toppings you like. Personally I go for a bit of pepperoni, basil, and garlic.

Put it back in the toaster over on 450 for another 4 to 5 minutes.

You now have a relatively healthy pizza containing roughly 200-250 calories and 9-10 net carbs. Best of all, this is legitimately tasty thin crust pizza!

Here in the Midwest, Meijer also has their own store brand low carb tortillas. They are kind of plain and have a couple more carbs but are an overall decent choice for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment