Monday, February 17, 2020

Life Inevitably Gets in the Way

Last week I entered into the third act of the first draft of Maestri. Finally, after 75,000 words the stage was set and it was time to set Arabella out into the world on her own to see if she will sink or swim in the face of opposing forces hunting her down. I say finally because I really wanted to be at this point over a month ago. I love schedules. I don't force myself to write when I'm not feeling it but I love analytics and use them frequently to help me figure out a schedule for myself. I have a lot on my plate for the upcoming summer and figured that I would be done drafting by June or July and would have a solid two months for editing before sending Maestri off into the wide world at the end of summer 2020.

Oh, how life gets in the way.

My nearly four year old has been having potty training issues which are giving him anxiety. After working it out with his doctors it seems that all we can do is wait for him to develop a bit more. He's slowly showing the signs but until he does it is distracting and it takes a bit out of me, mentally. To non-parents it probably sounds pretty ridiculous but a lot of parents know that potty training is one of the most psychologically grueling stretches a parent can face in their child's development.

It's also a time of year where I just get into a funk.

On February 22 2006 my best friend's family burned to death in a house fire. Every single year it hits me all over again. Even after fourteen years I am still coping with the tragedy. I have nightmares and I hear voices and see things, mostly around this time of year. It's a completely natural part of the cycle of grief and I work it out in many ways. The theme of fire being a bit of symbol of death and rebirth in The Morbid Fascinations of David Bennett comes directly from this.

Spring is also around the corner, so I find myself staring out my window instead of at my Chromebook -- daydreaming of taking it outside and writing in the shade on a warm afternoon.

So, Maestri might get pushed back a month or so. It depends on how soon I can find my motivation. I feel that once I get past the first draft it will get easier. The road will have already been mapped, it will simply be a matter of finding the shortest route to my destination.

I hope you all can be patient. I promise it will be well worth the wait.

In the meantime, if you want to see the origin of these characters...

The Morbid Fascinations of David Bennett. Free on Kindle Unlimited, $2.99 ebook, or $12.99 6x9 paperback. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1701845431

No comments:

Post a Comment